So along came the day and I had yet another cold. I could definitely have staye
Sunday, 26 August 2007
Midwinter Swim Madness
What fool goes and dips themself in the South Atlantic in the middle of summer
let alone the middle of winter?!! The answer to that question is...Moi!! I don't know how it happened (though there was probably some wine involved at some stage!!) but I was persuaded to do the South West Atlantic Midwinter Swim (SWAMS) which is an annual event here. As the water temperature is something like 4 degrees, there is not actually much swimming involved and it really is just a quick run in, a quick dip then a quick run out again. I think that there were more people watching than actually going for a dip - perhaps that is because they had learned from experience that this was definitely the best option!!
So along came the day and I had yet another cold. I could definitely have staye
d in bed and nursed it but some friends from home had generously agreed to sponsor me and I did not really want to go back to them and say "sorry, I was far too much of a wimp to do it!" The wind was gusting and it was pretty cold out. Unfortunately it was too windy to light the big bonfire on the beach. At the very last minute, coats and layers were taken off and us mad ones ran in. Actually, I found that my body wasn't too cold in the water but the same cannot be said for my hands and feet which went numb. My feet actually hurt when I put them into a hot water bath very soon afterwards but I was soon revived by the mulled wine they served to the swimmers at the Vic (Victory Bar) afterwards. It was an exhilarating experience and I would definitely consider participating again. I raised £78 towards helping veterans visit the Falklands in November for Remembrance Sunday. Thanks very much to the friends who were so generous in their sponsorship.
So along came the day and I had yet another cold. I could definitely have staye
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment