Sunday, 26 August 2007

Darwin - A Very Chilled Out Place to Visit

Last weekend, my friend Julia and I went to Darwin, a 90 minute drive from Stanley. We stayed overnight at Darwin House, the lodge, which was fantastic as it is such a relaxing place to stay and the food is delicious. We turned up to be greeted by smoko in the conservatory which was all very civilised and consisted of more cakes than even I could eat. We went out and about and explored the immediate area in the afternoon. The pictures are of Darwin settlement and corral and the memorial to 2 Para, most famous of whom was Lt Col H Jones.







We were the only ones staying there so had the place to ourselves and the room with windows on 3 sides for maximum views of Darwin Harbour and the snow capped mountains to the north. After more smoko, I learnt to do some cross stitch and spun untreated wool straight off the sheep for the first time. I asked Bonnie, the owner, if I could have some and she gave us a massive sackful to take back with us. I've just got to work out what to do with it all now. I have bought a spare second hand microwave and some dyes so I have in mind to make some felt things eventually.

On Sunday we went for a walk along the coast which was very scenic. It will be even more so when the gorse flowers in October/November so we will probably go back then.

No comments: