Wednesday, 21 March 2007
Long Island - My First Trip out to Camp
Sandra, a friendly German girl who works doing fisheries research, offered to take me on a drive out one Sunday a couple of weeks ago. We went up to Long Island, a traditional farm about a 1 hour drive north from Stanley. It was good to get out and about into the countryside (locally known as camp from the Spanish "campo") as I'm a bit bound to the town until I get a vehicle which will be soon, I hope. We went past many of the unusual quartzite stone runs which are a geological feature in this part of East Falkland and arrived at the white sandy beach of Long Island. We found some fantastic shells whilst beachcombing. A drive further north a bit and we found a beach known for its fossils - we managed to spot some petrified wood. We also saw a night heron and a crested caracara along the way.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment