So here I am, looking out of my lounge window, at the harbour and the narrows (Graham, at least you can probably visualise it seeing as you were here last year) and seeing all sorts of fishing boats coming in. It's 20 years of Falklands fisheries this weekend and, having been to visit the fisheries department yesterday morning and then attended a talk yesterday evening, I could probably now speak at length about the Illex squid!! Bruce, I now completely understand those satellite image pictures of the light pollution along the south east coast of South America - the jiggers which fish the squid use an unbelievable amount of light to catch them. It is big business. Tomorrow, there will be a trawler, a long liner and a jigger (the 3 different types of fishing boat used in the Falklands) in the port for the public to visit. I shall be there.
Something really sad happened here on Monday. 10 men jumped off one of the jiggers, apparently due to the desperate conditions on board. 8 of them were rescued but the other 2 are missing, presumed drowned. These fishing boats are mainly from south east Asia and the ones who jumped were Indonesian and Chinese.
I hope to update this blog bit more often now that I have broadband internet access. I might even be able to put some photos on future blogs to make them a bit more interesting. So much has happened in the past two weeks that I don't really know where to start so I'll probably drip feed the information rather than post a whole diatribe.
P.S. Guys, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like you've settled in pretty fast! WIshing you all teh best and thinking of you while enjoying all the outdooe life.
Will write more soon.
Albert & Karena
Well written article.
Post a Comment